The Picket Fence

This blog is intended to heighten awareness of the issues facing college faculty in their quest for greater quality in their classrooms. Je me souviens!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

"Just because you don't get eaten the first million times doesn't mean it's never going to happen." Jack Hanna

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Comments from a Colleague's Perspective

(These are comments that were emailed to me... some edits have been made to ensure anonymity.)

"I don’t know about you, but in an effort to remain professional, I don’t think we said very much (about our position) and I suspect that wonderful blog written by the Humber student came about partially at least by the fact that she may have been exposed to more “open” professors prior to the strike who shared their union concerns. Some of us talked about this last week while walking. Regrets at not saying more. When at (your campus) last Monday, I found the graduating students that I am teaching for the first time in years this semester to be looking forward to a 'holiday'...

"Also: I was at a party last night for my daughter with a third year student friend of hers who is crossing the line to go to class with part timer ???? I thought there was no teaching. I think the part timer is communicating with these students to help them not lose anything in the course in terms of time. I was shocked, but it was my daughter’s birthday party so didn’t follow that conversation perhaps as much as I should have to acquire the details and see if I had understood the whole thing correctly.

"While my students last week seemed to be on anaesthetic, (too soft an approach by faculty to reduce their worry?) there were others I overheard in the cafeteria in definite distress that they would lose their entire tuition for the year it sounded like and have to do the whole thing again (fear mongering by other professors?)

"What I haven’t heard is an educated, intelligent comment from students as to what this is really (according to us at least) all about. And perhaps that is the fault of faculty. Yes, we shouldn’t take inordinate amounts of time pushing our own agenda in a classroom, but for heaven’s sake, when we have been asked ... what have we said that would get these students out on the line and out in support of their faculty?

"Anyone (and that certainly includes me, who has been guilty of not saying anything valuable when opportunities presented themselves) who was on the last two strikes remembers the Council trying to gain sympathy by media comments around our long, long vacations etc. So we shouldn’t be shocked that they would do their best to educate everyone to see a less than balanced answer when they see teachers out there. I even think, sad as it is, that people remember all the high school and elementary strikes in the last 15 years and lump us all into that.

"What I should have done if I had been at all intelligent last night, was ask my doughter's friend to come out with some of her friends and walk our picket line with us for ½ hour or more. But I’m too professional? Of just meek? My daughter's friend was very supportive in terms of her opinion of her faculty, so that’s where things could start? Do you think your teachers are doing a good job? Are they prepared? Are they interested in your education? If so, get out there and be interested in the future of education. It’s a different time than when you had sit ins, isn’t it??
.... I did make my daughter's friend promise ;-) to write to MPP’s and Premier. I hope she does this and encourages others to do that also."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home